[openstack-dev] [Neutron] VMware networking

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Sun Jun 29 07:15:19 UTC 2014

Hi,
At the moment there are a number of different BP's that are proposed to enable different VMware network management solutions. The following specs are in review:

  1.  VMware NSX-vSphere plugin: https://review.openstack.org/102720
  2.  Neutron mechanism driver for VMWare vCenter DVS network creation:https://review.openstack.org/#/c/101124/
  3.  VMware dvSwitch/vSphere API support for Neutron ML2: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100810/

In addition to this there is also talk about HP proposing some for of VMware network management.

Each of the above has specific use case and will enable existing vSphere users to adopt and make use of Neutron.

Items #2 and #3 offer a use case where the user is able to leverage and manage VMware DVS networks. This support will have the following limitations:

  *   Only VLANs are supported (there is no VXLAN support)
  *   No security groups
  *   #3 - the spec indicates that it will make use of pyvmomi (https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi). There are a number of disclaimers here:
     *   This is currently blocked regarding the integration into the requirements project (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/69964/)
     *   The idea was to have oslo.vmware leverage this in the future (https://github.com/openstack/oslo.vmware)

Item #1 will offer support for all of the existing Neutron API's and there functionality. This solution will require a additional component called NSX (https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/nsx_pubs.html).

It would be great if we could all align our efforts and have some clear development items for the community. In order to do this I'd like suggest that we meet to sync and discuss all efforts. Please let me know if the following sounds ok for an initial meeting to discuss how we can move forwards:
 - Tuesday 15:00 UTC
 - IRC channel #openstack-vmware

We can discuss the following:

  1.  Different proposals
  2.  Combining efforts
  3.  Setting a formal time for meetings and follow ups

Looking forwards to working on this stuff with the community and providing a gateway to using Neutron and further enabling the adaption of OpenStack.

Thanks
Gary