[openstack-dev] [Octavia] PTL and core team members

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 03:06:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Stephen Balukoff <sbalukoff at bluebox.net>
wrote:

> Thanks for the link, Anita!
>
> These are definitely good guidelines, but there are a couple problems with
> doing the election exactly as described in the document:  It looks like to
> generate the list of voters, it recommends using the list of people who
> have committed code to the project in the last year. As this project is
> just getting bootstrapped, obviously we have no committed code yet.
>
> It might be possible to use mailing list activity (in [Neutron][LBaaS] in
> particular) to generate this list, but also keep in mind that not everyone
> who has been active on the mailing list is interested in contributing to
> Octavia. For example, while Doug Wiegley has made great contributions to
> Neutron LBaaS, it's probably a conflict of interest for him to participate
> in Octavia, since he works for a load balancer vendor.
>
> I do agree that the election should not be conducted by one of the
> candidates in any case. What do y'all think, as far as determining the list
> of who should be able to vote and/or nominate candidates?

I'm going to jump in here and suggest that you slow down. Using an awful
horse and cart analogy, it seems you're trying to select the best
cart-pulling horse when there's not yet a cart.

I'd suggest running through a development cycle without an election or an
official PTL. **Work as a tight community of contributors to establish the
project,** and by the time you have a real need for a PTL (probably around
the time you begin dealing with release overhead), you'll have a list of
eligible voters (per the election guidelines that Anita linked). More
importantly, those voters will have developed the necessary perspective to
go about nominating and voting for a PTL with confidence.

Best of luck!

-Dolph