[openstack-dev] [nova] Set compute_node:hypervisor_nodename as unique and not null

Manickam, Kanagaraj kanagaraj.manickam at hp.com
Wed Jun 18 18:37:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

This mail is regarding the required model change in nova. Please fine more details below:

As we knew, Nova db has the table "compute_nodes" for modelling the hypervisors and its using the "hypervisor_hostname" field to represent the hypervisor name.
This value is having significant value in os-hypervisor extension api which is using this field to uniquely identify the hypervisor.

Consider the case where a given environment is having more than one hypervisors (KVM, EXS, Xen, etc)  with same hostname and os-hypervisor and thereby Horizon Hypervisor panel and nova hypervisors-servers command will fail.
There is a defect (https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1329261)  already filed on VMware VC driver to address this issue to make sure that, a unique value is generated for the VC driver's hypervisor.  But its good to fix at the model level as well by  making "hypervisor_hostname" field as unique always. And a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1329299 is filed for the same.

Before fixing this bug, I would like to get the opinion from the community. Could you please help here !

Regards
Kanagaraj M