[openstack-dev] [nova] A modest proposal to reduce reviewer load

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jun 18 11:28:10 UTC 2014

On 06/18/2014 05:24 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:04:15AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Russell Bryant wrote:

>>> Seems reasonable to me.
>>>
>>> Of course, I just hope it doesn't put reviewers in a mode of only
>>> looking for the trivial stuff and helping less with the big stuff.
>>
>> As an aside, we don't really need two core reviewers to bless a trivial
>> change: one could be considered sufficient. So a patch marked as trivial
>> which has a number of +1s could be +2/APRVed directly by a core reviewer.
>>
>> That would slightly reduce load on core reviewers, although I suspect
>> most of the time is spent on complex patches, and trivial patches do not
>> take that much time to process (or could even be seen as a nice break
>> from more complex patch reviewing).
>
> Agreed, I think this actually would help improve velocity in many cases,
> provided there was sufficient common understanding of what consititutes a
> trivial patch.
>
> The other situation this may make sense is when a non-trivial change has
> already been widely reviewed and approved then needs a last-minute minor
> rebase to resolve a simple merge conflict (e.g due to all these trivial
> patches suddenly landing really fast.. ;)
>
> We discussed this in the Heat team a while back and agreed that having one
> core re-review and approve the patch was sufficient, and basically that
> folks could use their discretion in this situation.

Honestly, I think this is already culture in most projects. There is a
reason that we enforce 2 +2 in culture and not in code, as it allows for
fast approve with rationale. Previously approved with a merge conflict
typically falls into this category. Every group does this a little
differently, but at the end of the day the system does lean on us being
reasonable humans, which is typically a solid assumption.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net