[openstack-dev] [nova] A modest proposal to reduce reviewer load

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:26:22 UTC 2014

On 18 June 2014 10:04, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> As an aside, we don't really need two core reviewers to bless a trivial
> change: one could be considered sufficient. So a patch marked as trivial
> which has a number of +1s could be +2/APRVed directly by a core reviewer.
>
> That would slightly reduce load on core reviewers, although I suspect
> most of the time is spent on complex patches, and trivial patches do not
> take that much time to process (or could even be seen as a nice break
> from more complex patch reviewing).

I think removing the need for two +2s is higher risk that you think -
the definition of 'trivial' gets stretched and stretched over time
because it allows people to get patches in quicker/easier and we end
up in a mess. I'm all for adding the tag, but reducing the review
requirements is, in my view, dangerous. If a change is truly trivial
then it is only going to take moments for the second core to review
it, so the saving really is negligible compared to the risk.

--
Duncan Thomas