[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Nova][vmware] Multiple vCenter backends support in Fuel

Andrey Danin adanin at mirantis.com
Mon Jun 16 23:12:36 UTC 2014

Hi, All.
In next Fuel release we want to implement a support of multiple vCenters
under one OpenStack. Practically it means that we need to set up multiple
instances of Nova-Compute each connected to its own vCenter. In Fuel 5.0 we
already have support of one vCenter, but it's implemented by running the
Nova-Compute and Nova-Network services on the Controller node. So, we have
to decide how we will set up multiple instances of Nova-Compute? And how we
can provide an HA for them? I see three way to do that.

1.1 Always use a separate Compute node to run each Nova-Compute/Network
pair.

1.2 Run one pair on the Controller node and other pairs on the dedicated
Compute nodes. The problem is how to decide which one of vCenters should be
conneted to the Controller node's services. Also it's a question about
system load of the Controller node.

1.3 Run all the nova-compute/network services on the Controller nodes.
Actually, Fuel architecture doesn't allow to set up multiple identical
roles to one host but we in this case we can break the restriction.

What about HA?

2.1 If we run any services on the Controller nodes we can easily move them
under Pacemaker control (we already have it on Controller nodes).

2.2 If we run services on the dedicated Compute nodes we can do no HA, but
one can run these Compute nodes inside of vCenter Cluster and provide an HA
by vSphere HA feature.

2.3 Also, if we run services on the dedicated Compute nodes we can set up a
separate Pacemaker/Corosync cluster between these nodes to handle the
Nova-Compute/Network services only.

As I know, there is a way to run multiple Nova-Compute instances on one
node, but I'm not sure about Nova-Network (Multihosts mode) behaviour in
this case.

I would really appreciate any your thoughts and suggestions about that.

--
Andrey Danin
adanin at mirantis.com
skype: gcon.monolake