[openstack-dev] [oslo][messaging] messaging vs. messagingv2

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 20:13:26 UTC 2014

Hi Ihar,

On Mon, 2014-06-16 at 15:28 +0200, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently pushing Neutron to oslo.messaging, and while at it, a
> question popped up.
>
> So in oslo-rpc, we have the following notification drivers available:
> neutron.openstack.common.notifier.log_notifier
> neutron.openstack.common.notifier.no_op_notifier
> neutron.openstack.common.notifier.rpc_notifier2
> neutron.openstack.common.notifier.rpc_notifier
> neutron.openstack.common.notifier.test_notifier
>
> And in oslo.messaging, we have:
> oslo.messaging.notify._impl_log:LogDriver
> oslo.messaging.notify._impl_noop:NoOpDriver
> oslo.messaging.notify._impl_messaging:MessagingV2Driver
> oslo.messaging.notify._impl_messaging:MessagingDriver
> oslo.messaging.notify._impl_test:TestDriver
>
> My understanding is that they map to each other as in [1].
>
> So atm Neutron uses rpc_notifier from oslo-rpc, so I'm going to
> replace it with MessagingDriver. So far so good.

So far so good, indeed.

> But then I've checked docstrings for MessagingDriver and
> MessagingV2Driver [2], and the following looks suspicious to me. For
> MessagingDriver, it's said:
>
> "This driver should only be used in cases where there are existing
> consumers deployed which do not support the 2.0 message format."
>
> This sounds like MessagingDriver is somehow obsolete, and we want to
> use MessagingV2Driver unless forced to. But I don't get what those
> consumers are. Are these other projects that interact with us via
> messaging bus?
>
> Another weird thing is that it seems that no other project is actually
> using MessagingV2Driver (at least those that I've checked). Is it even
> running in wild?

The idea is that deployments should move over to the v2 on-the-wire
format, but we've never made any great efforts for that to happen.

Part of the issue here is that notifications are consumed by codebases
outside of OpenStack and, so, changing the default to v2 would likely
unnecessarily disrupt some people.

The reason no-one has pushed very hard on a firm deprecation plan for
the v1 format is that the v2 format doesn't yet offer a huge amount of
advantages. Right now it just adds a '2.0' version number to the format.
When we gain the ability to sign notification messages, this will only
be available via the v2 format and that will encourage more focus on
switching over fully.

Mark.