[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal: Move CPU and memory allocation ratio out of scheduler

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Thu Jun 12 15:37:09 UTC 2014

But the full set of system capabilities isn't only about things that an end-user needs - there are also admin features we need to include.

Another use case for this is to place a "probe" instance on specific hosts to help monitor specific aspects of the system performance from a VM perspective.

> I will point out, though, that it is indeed possible to achieve the same use
> case using host aggregates that would not break the main design tenet of
> cloud computing... just make two host aggregates, one for each compute
> node involved in your testing, and then simply supply scheduler hints that
> would only match one aggregate or the other.

Even I wouldn't argue that aggregates are a great solution here ;-)   Not only does having single node aggregates for every host you want to force to seem a tad overkill, the logic for this "admin" feature includes by-passing the normal scheduler filters,