[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal: Move CPU and memory allocation ratio out of scheduler

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:03:15 UTC 2014

On 06/09/2014 12:32 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 07:59 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> On 06/06/2014 08:07 AM, Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) wrote:
>>> Forcing an instance to a specific host is very useful for the
>>> operator - it fulfills a valid use case for monitoring and testing
>>> purposes.
>>
>> Pray tell, what is that valid use case?
>
> I find it useful for setting up specific testcases when trying to
> validate things....put *this* instance on *this* host, put *those*
> instances on *those* hosts, now pull the power plug on *this* host...etc.

So, violating the main design tenet of cloud computing: though shalt not
care what physical machine your virtual machine lives on. :)

> I wouldn't expect the typical openstack end-user to need it though.

Me either :)

I will point out, though, that it is indeed possible to achieve the same
use case using host aggregates that would not break the main design
tenet of cloud computing... just make two host aggregates, one for each
compute node involved in your testing, and then simply supply scheduler
hints that would only match one aggregate or the other.

Best,
-jay