[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Fuel] relationship btw TripleO and Fuel

Mike Scherbakov mscherbakov at mirantis.com
Tue Jun 10 11:42:04 UTC 2014

That's right, we (Fuel devs) are contributing to the TripleO. Our devs
contributes into all areas where overlap occurs, and these include TripleO,
Ironic and other projects.
As we work with the TripleO team, the Fuel team will continue to enhance
Fuel based on users demand.  Since Fuel has been shipping as part of
customer-facing products for about 18 months now, we’re getting some great
feedback about what deployment and operation capabilities are needed in
production environments on both small and large scale. This makes Fuel a
good alternative to TripleO until the two projects reach parity.

Main architectural difference to me is the deployment approach. Fuel
deploys (and configures) OpenStack in HA fashion, other (such as MongoDB)
components utilizing Puppet. TripleO uses prepared images, which already
contain predefined set of roles, and after they are rolled out, only
post-configuration is made to the system. TripleO, in this way, seems to be
more suited for homogenous deployments, with predefined set of roles for
nodes. For Fuel, it was a requirement from the day one to support
heterogenous nodes, ability to deploy different combination of roles. While
Fuel getting way out of using OS installers to image-based provisioning
[1], we see a large demand on ability to support user-defined combination
of roles. This leads to such requirements as network setups, disk
partitioning layout based on roles applied with allowance for the user to
tweak defaults if necessary.

As for Fuel roadmap, we've recently enabled Fuel master node upgrades with
the use of LXC & Docker. Current focus is on OpenStack patching & upgrades
and pluggable architecture for Fuel, so to make it easily extendable.
Obviously, there is a bunch of things we would love to see implemented
sooner than later [2], but mentioned are the most important. One of the
another important goals is to increase focus on Rally and Tempest to
proactively identify areas in OpenStack which need fixing in order to
increase robustness, performance, HA-awareness and scalability of OpenStack
Core in order to meet increasing users demand.

[1]
http://docs-draft.openstack.org/75/95575/23/check/gate-fuel-specs-docs/52ace98/doc/build/html/specs/5.1/image-based-os-provisioning.html
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel

Thanks,

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 1:56 AM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
wrote:

> Well, fuel devs are also hacking on TripleO :) I don't know the exact
> timelines but I'm certainly hopeful that we'll see long term
> convergence - as TripleO gets more capable, more and more of Fuel
> could draw on TripleO facilities, for instance.
>
> -Rob
>
> On 9 June 2014 19:41, LeslieWang <wqyuwss at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Seems like both Fuel and TripleO are designed to solve problem of complex
> > Openstack installation and Deployment. TripleO is using Heat for
> > orchestration. If we can define network creation, OS provision and
> > deployment in Heat template, seems like they can achieve similar goal. So
> > can anyone explain the difference of these two projects, and future
> roadmap
> > of each of them? Thanks!
> >
> > TripleO is a program aimed at installing, upgrading and operating
> OpenStack
> > clouds using OpenStack's own cloud facilities as the foundations -
> building
> > on nova, neutron and heat to automate fleet management at datacentre
> scale
> > (and scaling down to as few as 2 machines).
> >
> > Fuel is an all-in-one control plane for automated hardware discovery,
> > network verification, operating systems provisioning and deployment of
> > OpenStack. It provides user-friendly Web interface for installations
> > management, simplifying OpenStack installation up to a few clicks.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Leslie

> --
> Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>