[openstack-dev] [NFV] No-brainer BPs submitted and specs on NFV meeting page

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 09:26:57 UTC 2014

I've written up three blueprints for some problems that were repeatedly
aired at the summit's NFV BOF.  This may well only be a start of the
blockers list, but at least it is a start, and I think at least two of them
are straightforward.  (I might even have found a workaround for one, not
had chance to check it yet - but if I have it's only more proof that the
issue itself wants fixing, so I wrote it up anyway.)  They're listed on the
NFV meeting page [1].  Don't forget the meeting tomorrow at some ungodly
hour of the morning (thanks, Russell!).

There are one or two other things I was considering adding (specifically
disabling firewalls on ports), but in the meantime I've had a few potential
workarounds pointed out to me for various of the problems that I and others
have encountered, and I would like to test a couple of things out before I
add proposals for completely unnecessary features. It may be that, as well
as the changes we require here, we also need to come up with a list of
design patterns (or workarounds, depending on your viewpoint) typically
used in NFV coding.

Aside from that, there's now a ton of NFV related blueprints there, but
have yet to really break them into priorities.  Clearly we're not going to
do all of them in the remaining time before Juno, so some prioritisation is
required.  For the minute I think we have to isolate the blockers and the
things holding us back.  Many of the ideas there are useful, but not
universal to all NFV work, and I think we need to concentrate our efforts
on making it possible before we worry about making it efficient, elegant,
or anything else.  Also, many of them are not NFV-centric, they're just
good ideas that stand on their own and also happen to improve NFV
functioning; where that's the case, please, don't wait on us, go away and
get them implemented!

Since the list is so long, we're clearly not going to go through them all
in a one hour IRC meeting. If you have hands on experience implementing NFV
functions or infrastructure, and if you spot something in there that is the
answer to all your problems (or, at least, one of your problems), flag it
to Russell, privately, before the meeting, and if you're unsatisfied with
the result, then there's a mailing list here to discuss it afterward.
Otherwise I think we need to have an offline hack at putting them in
priority order - after the meeting is over.

Cheers,
--
Ian.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/NFV