[openstack-dev] REST API access to configuration options

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jul 15 14:51:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 13:00 +0100, Henry Nash wrote:
>> Mark,
>>

>> Thanks for your comments (as well as remarks on the WIP code-review).
>>

>> So clearly gathering and analysing log files is an alternative
>> approach, perhaps not as immediate as an API call.  In general, I
>> believe that the more capability we provide via easy-to-consume APIs
>> (with appropriate permissions) the more effective (and innovative)
>> ways of management of OpenStack we will achieve (easier to build
>> automated management systems).
>
> I'm skeptical - like Joe says, this is a general problem and management
> tooling will have generic ways of tackling this without using a REST
> API.
>
>>   In terms of multi API servers, obviously each server would respond
>> to the API with the values it has set, so operators could check any or
>> all of the servers....and this actually becomes more important as
>> people distribute config files around to the various servers (since
>> more chance of something getting out of sync).
>
> The fact that it only deals with API servers, and that you need to
> bypass the load balancer in order to iterate over all API servers, makes
> this of very limited use IMHO.

I have to agree. Those configuration management tools push settings
out to the cluster. I don't see a lot of value in having them query an
API to see what settings are already in place.

FWIW, we had a very similar discussion in ceilometer early on, because
we thought it might be tricky to configure a distributed set of
collector daemons exactly right. In the end we decided to rely on the
existing configuration tools to push out the settings rather than
trying to build that into the daemons. The nodes need enough
configuration that the service can come online to get the rest of its
configuration, and at that point the work of passing out the config is
done and it might as well include all of the settings. Providing an
API to check the config is similar -- the API service needs enough of
its settings to know how to run and where its config file is located
to provide an API for asking questions about what is in that file.

Doug