[openstack-dev] REST API access to configuration options

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 14:25:04 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 13:00 +0100, Henry Nash wrote:
> Mark,
>

> Thanks for your comments (as well as remarks on the WIP code-review).
>

> So clearly gathering and analysing log files is an alternative
> approach, perhaps not as immediate as an API call.  In general, I
> believe that the more capability we provide via easy-to-consume APIs
> (with appropriate permissions) the more effective (and innovative)
> ways of management of OpenStack we will achieve (easier to build
> automated management systems).

I'm skeptical - like Joe says, this is a general problem and management
tooling will have generic ways of tackling this without using a REST
API.

>   In terms of multi API servers, obviously each server would respond
> to the API with the values it has set, so operators could check any or
> all of the servers....and this actually becomes more important as
> people distribute config files around to the various servers (since
> more chance of something getting out of sync).

The fact that it only deals with API servers, and that you need to
bypass the load balancer in order to iterate over all API servers, makes
this of very limited use IMHO.

Thanks,
Mark.