[openstack-dev] [oslo][glance] what to do about tons of http connection pool is full warnings in g-api log?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jul 14 21:21:53 UTC 2014

On 7/14/2014 4:09 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> I opened bug 1341777 [1] against glance but it looks like it's due to
> the default log level for requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool in
> oslo's log module.
>
> The problem is this warning shows up nearly 420K times in 7 days in
> Tempest runs:
>
> WARNING urllib3.connectionpool [-] HttpConnectionPool is full,
> discarding connection: 127.0.0.1
>
> So either glance is doing something wrong, or that's logging too high of
> a level (I think it should be debug in this case).  I'm not really sure
> how to scope this down though, or figure out what is so damn chatty in
> glance-api that is causing this.  It doesn't seem to be causing test
> failures, but the rate at which this is logged in glance-api is surprising.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1341777

I found this older thread [1] which led to this in oslo [2] but I'm not
really sure how to use it to make the connectionpool logging quieter in
glance, any guidance there?  It looks like in Joe's change to nova for
oslo.messaging he just changed the value directly in the log module in
nova, something I thought was forbidden.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/030763.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/94001/

Matt Riedemann