[openstack-dev] [oslo][glance] what to do about tons of http connection pool is full warnings in g-api log?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jul 14 21:09:40 UTC 2014

I opened bug 1341777 [1] against glance but it looks like it's due to
the default log level for requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool in
oslo's log module.

The problem is this warning shows up nearly 420K times in 7 days in
Tempest runs:

WARNING urllib3.connectionpool [-] HttpConnectionPool is full,
discarding connection: 127.0.0.1

So either glance is doing something wrong, or that's logging too high of
a level (I think it should be debug in this case).  I'm not really sure
how to scope this down though, or figure out what is so damn chatty in
glance-api that is causing this.  It doesn't seem to be causing test
failures, but the rate at which this is logged in glance-api is surprising.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1341777

Matt Riedemann