[openstack-dev] [all] milestone-proposed is dead, long lives proposed/foo

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 2 14:59:55 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-02 16:14:52 +0400 (+0400), Yuriy Taraday wrote:
> Why do we need these short-lived 'proposed' branches in any form?
> Why can't we just use release branches for this and treat them as
> stable when appropriate tag is added to some commit in them?

The primary reasons are:

1. People interpret "stable/juno" as an indication that it is a
stable released branch, so "proposed/juno" makes it a little more
obvious to those people that it isn't yet.

2. Current process delegates pre-release change approval to a
different group of reviewers than post-release change approval, and
the easiest way to enforce this is through Gerrit ACL matches on
different git ref patterns for their respective target branches.
Jeremy Stanley