[openstack-dev] [TripleO] devtest thoughts

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 15:28:01 UTC 2014

devtest, our TripleO setup, has been rapidly evolving. We've added a
fair amount of configuration options for stuff like using actual
baremetal, and (soon) HA deployments by default. Also, the scripts
(which the docs are generated from) are being used for both CD and CI.

This is all great progress.

However, due to these changes,  I think that devtest no longer works
great as a tripleo developer setup. You haven't been able to complete
a setup following our docs for >1 week now. The patches are in review
to fix that, and they need to be properly reviewed and I'm not saying
they should be rushed. Just that it's another aspect of the problem of
trying to use devtest for CI/CD and a dev setup.

I think it might be time to have a developer setup vs. devtest, which
is more of a documented tripleo setup at this point.

In irc earlier this week (sorry if i misquoting the intent here), I
saw mention of getting setup easier by just using a seed to deploy an
overcloud.  I think that's a great idea.  We are all already probably
doing it :). Why not document that in some sort of fashion?

There would be some initial trade offs, around folks not necessarily
understanding the full devtest process. But, you don't necessarily
need to understand all of that to hack on the upgrade story, or
tuskar, or ironic.

These are just some additional thoughts around the process and mail I
sent earlier this week:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-January/025726.html
But, I thought this warranted a broader discussion.

--
-- James Slagle