[openstack-dev] Proposed Logging Standards

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jan 28 19:46:25 UTC 2014

On 01/28/2014 12:41 PM, Scott Devoid wrote:
>     For the uses I've seen of it in the nova api code INFO would be
>     perfectly fine in place of AUDIT.
>

> We've found the AUDIT logs in nova useful for tracking which user
> initiated a particular request (e.g. delete this instance). AUDIT had a
> much better signal to noise ratio than INFO or DEBUG. Although this
> seems to have changed since Essex. For example nova-compute spits out
> "AUDIT nova.compute.resource_tracker" messages every minute even if
> there are no changes :-/

A big part of my interest here is to make INFO a useful informational
level for operators. That means getting a bunch of messages out of it
that don't belong.

We should be logging user / tenant on every wsgi request, so that should
be parsable out of INFO. If not, we should figure out what is falling
down there.

Follow on question: do you primarily use the EC2 or OSAPI? As there are
some current short comings on the EC2 logging, and figuring out
normalizing those would be good as well.

	-Sean