[openstack-dev] [oslo] log message translations

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Mon Jan 27 19:06:28 UTC 2014

Joshua Harlow wrote:
>From what I know most all (correct me if I am wrong) open source projects
>don't translate log messages; so it seems odd to be the special snowflake
>project/s.

>Do people find this type of translation useful?

>It'd be nice to know how many people really do so the benefit/drawbacks of
>doing it can be evaluated by real usage data.

This is just a wild idea off the top of my head, but what about creating a log
translation service completely independent of running systems. Basically
I'm thinking of a web based UI hosted on openstack.org where you can
upload a logfile or copy/paste log lines and receive it back in the language
of your choice.

When googling for an error message it would definitely be better for
everyone to be using the same language because otherwise you'll
only find forum posts and so forth in your own language and probably
miss a solution posted in another language.

But I can certainly see that some people might actually be able to figure
out problems for themselves if they could see the error in their native
language.

So my idea is to log messages in English but create a standard way to
get a translated version.

As a side effect, the usage of the web based translator server would
give a way to answer your question about how many people use it.
If it doesn't get any usage then people can stop investing the time in
creating the translations.