[openstack-dev] [gantt] Sync up patches

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 22:06:10 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 04:43 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Dugger, Donald D
> <donald.d.dugger at intel.com <mailto:donald.d.dugger at intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     OK, it looks like the concensus is that we don't try and keep the
>     gantt tree in sync with nova instead we:
>
>     1)  Get the current gantt tree to pass unit tests
>     2)  Get gantt to pass integration tests (e.g. get it working as the
>     nova scheduler)
>     3)  Modify devstack to optionally use gantt
>     4)  Freeze scheduler changes to nova as we:
>

> This should be covered the the standard feature freeze for Icehouse
>

>           a)  Extract all the changes that were needed to get gantt working
>           b)  Recreate the gantt tree from the current nova tree
>           c)  Apply all the patches from step 4.a
>     5)  Unfreeze scheduler work but now all work is targeted exclusively
>     to the gantt tree
>

> LGTM, although once we have a working gantt for Icehouse I think we
> should have another round of discussion about deprecating nova-scheduler
> in favor of gantt.  On I high level that is something I think we all
> support, but the devil is in the details.

Right, I don't think it's worth talking about until gantt is
demonstrated to be working.  Otherwise the deprecation path discussion
is a moot point.  It's really a switch I'd rather flip at the beginning
of a release cycle, anyway.  It seems quite likely that any deprecation
cycle will start in Juno and not Icehouse at this point.

--
Russell Bryant