[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Terminology Revival #1 - Roles

Tzu-Mainn Chen tzumainn at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 14:40:45 UTC 2014

Thanks for starting this!  Comments in-line:

> Hi folks,
>
> when I was getting feedback on wireframes and we talked about Roles,
> there were various objections and not much suggestions. I would love to
> call for action and think a bit about the term for concept currently
> known as Role (= Resource Category).
>
> Definition:
> Role is a representation of a group of nodes, with specific behavior.

I don't think this is technically correct; according to the wireframes, a 'Role'
is a representation of a group of Heat resources from an overcloud stack - a
Controller Resource, Compute Resource, etc.  Free nodes have no Role.

> Each role contains (or will contain):
> * one or more Node Profiles (which specify HW which is going in)
> * association with image (which will be provisioned on new coming nodes)
> * specific service settings
>
> So far suggested terms:
> * Role *
>    - short name - plus points
>    - quite overloaded term (user role, etc)
>
> * Resource Category *
>    - pretty long (devs already shorten it - confusing)
>    - Heat specific term

That's why I suggested this term after others objected to Role; it seems to me
that whatever term we use should have the world 'Resource' in it, in order to
make the correspondence clear.

Mainn