[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Terminology Revival #1 - Roles

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 14:19:34 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

when I was getting feedback on wireframes and we talked about Roles,
there were various objections and not much suggestions. I would love to
call for action and think a bit about the term for concept currently
known as Role (= Resource Category).

Definition:
Role is a representation of a group of nodes, with specific behavior.
Each role contains (or will contain):
* one or more Node Profiles (which specify HW which is going in)
* association with image (which will be provisioned on new coming nodes)
* specific service settings

So far suggested terms:
* Role *
   - short name - plus points
   - quite overloaded term (user role, etc)

* Resource Category *
   - pretty long (devs already shorten it - confusing)
   - Heat specific term

* Resource Class *
   - older term

Are there any other suggestions (ideally something short and accurate)?
Or do you prefer any of already suggested terms?

Any ideas are welcome - we are not very good in finding the best match
for this particular term.

Thanks
-- Jarda