[openstack-dev] Can somebody help me to determine if an URL validation in python-glanceclient & horizon projects is safe

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Mon Jan 20 21:15:31 UTC 2014

Adding this to glanceclient is probably acceptable since the worst abuse of it would be to disrupt a user's local machine until they terminated the process, but adding this to Horizon is a no-go.

Django removed the "verify_exists" option from URLField in Django 1.5 for very good reasons. Here's the release notes summary:

"django.db.models.fields.URLField.verify_exists will be removed. The feature was deprecated in 1.3.1 due to intractable security and performance issues and will follow a slightly accelerated deprecation timeframe."

Note that "intractable security issues" bit. Doing this type of validation server-side opens you up to some nasty DoS attacks and simply shouldn't be done.

If you have further questions, I recommend talking to Paul McMillan, who was the original reporter of the security issues with "verify_exists" in Django.

All the best,

-          Gabriel