[openstack-dev] [Nova] why don't we deal with "claims" when live migrating an instance?

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 17:39:52 UTC 2014

On Jan 16, 2014, at 9:41 PM, Jiang, Yunhong <yunhong.jiang at intel.com> wrote:

> I noticed the BP has been approved, but I really want to understand more on the reason, can anyone provide me some hints?
>
> In the BP, it states that “For resize, we need to confirm, as we want to give end user an opportunity to rollback”. But why do we want to give user an opportunity to rollback to resize? And why that reason does not apply to cold migration and live migration?

The confirm is so the user can verify that the instance is still functional in the new state. We leave the old instance around so they can abort and return to the old instance if something goes wrong. This could apply to cold migration as well since it uses the same code paths, but it definitely does not make sense in the case of live-migration, because there is no old vm to revert to.

In the case of cold migration, the state is quite confusing as “RESIZE_VERIFY”, and the need to confirm is not immediately obvious so I think that is driving the change.

Vish