[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Editing Nodes

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 15:31:03 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 03:28 AM, marios at redhat.com wrote:
> On 16/01/14 00:28, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Excerpts from James Slagle's message of 2014-01-15 05:07:08 -0800:
>>> I'll start by laying out how I see editing or updating nodes working
>>> in TripleO without Tuskar:
>>>
>>> To do my initial deployment:
>>> 1.  I build a set of images for my deployment for different roles. The
>>> images are different based on their role, and only contain the needed
>>> software components to accomplish the role they intend to be deployed.
>>> 2.  I load the images into glance
>>> 3.  I create the Heat template for my deployment, likely from
>>> fragments that are already avaiable. Set quantities, indicate which
>>> images (via image uuid) are for which resources in heat.
>>> 4.  heat stack-create with my template to do the deployment
>>>
>>> To update my deployment:
>>> 1.  If I need to edit a role (or create a new one), I create a new image.
>>> 2.  I load the new image(s) into glance
>>> 3.  I edit my Heat template, update any quantities, update any image uuids, etc.
>>> 4.  heat stack-update my deployment
>>>
>>> In both cases above, I see the role of Tuskar being around steps 3 and 4.
>>>

>> Agreed!
>>

> +1 ...
>

> review  /#/c/52045/ is about generating the overcloud template using
> merge.py **. Having recently picked this up again and following latest
> wireframes and UI design, it seems like most of current Tuskar code is
> going away. After initial panick I saw Jay has actually already started
> that with /#/c/66062/
>
> Jay: I think at some point (asap) my /#/c/52045/ will be rebased on your
>   /#/c/66062/. Currently my code creates templates from the Tuskar
> representations, i.e. ResourceClasses. For now I will assume that I'll
> be getting something along the lines of:
>
> {
> 'resource_categories': { 'controller': 1, 'compute': 4, 'object': 1,
> 'block' 2}
> }
>
> i.e. just resource categories and number of instances for each (plus any
> other user supplied config/auth info). Will there be controllers (do we
> need them, apart from a way to create, update, delete)? Let's talk some
> more on irc later. I'll update the commit message on my review to point
> to yours for now,
>
> thanks! marios
>
> ** merge.py is going to be binned but it is the best thing we've got
> _today_ and within the Icehouse timeframe.

My stuff got merged in today. You should be able to use db's api.py to
grab everything you need. Ping me (jdob) if you have any questions on it
or need some different queries.