[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Editing Nodes

marios@redhat.com mandreou at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 08:28:23 UTC 2014

On 16/01/14 00:28, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from James Slagle's message of 2014-01-15 05:07:08 -0800:
>> I'll start by laying out how I see editing or updating nodes working
>> in TripleO without Tuskar:
>>
>> To do my initial deployment:
>> 1.  I build a set of images for my deployment for different roles. The
>> images are different based on their role, and only contain the needed
>> software components to accomplish the role they intend to be deployed.
>> 2.  I load the images into glance
>> 3.  I create the Heat template for my deployment, likely from
>> fragments that are already avaiable. Set quantities, indicate which
>> images (via image uuid) are for which resources in heat.
>> 4.  heat stack-create with my template to do the deployment
>>
>> To update my deployment:
>> 1.  If I need to edit a role (or create a new one), I create a new image.
>> 2.  I load the new image(s) into glance
>> 3.  I edit my Heat template, update any quantities, update any image uuids, etc.
>> 4.  heat stack-update my deployment
>>
>> In both cases above, I see the role of Tuskar being around steps 3 and 4.
>>

> Agreed!

+1 ...

review  /#/c/52045/ is about generating the overcloud template using
merge.py **. Having recently picked this up again and following latest
wireframes and UI design, it seems like most of current Tuskar code is
going away. After initial panick I saw Jay has actually already started
that with /#/c/66062/

Jay: I think at some point (asap) my /#/c/52045/ will be rebased on your
 /#/c/66062/. Currently my code creates templates from the Tuskar
representations, i.e. ResourceClasses. For now I will assume that I'll
be getting something along the lines of:

{
'resource_categories': { 'controller': 1, 'compute': 4, 'object': 1,
'block' 2}
}

i.e. just resource categories and number of instances for each (plus any
other user supplied config/auth info). Will there be controllers (do we
need them, apart from a way to create, update, delete)? Let's talk some
more on irc later. I'll update the commit message on my review to point
to yours for now,

thanks! marios

** merge.py is going to be binned but it is the best thing we've got
_today_ and within the Icehouse timeframe.