[openstack-dev] [oslo] dependency analysis for graduating more oslo libraries

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Jan 15 14:20:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:24 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 14/01/14 14:48 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
>> I've spent some time over the past day or two looking at the dependencies
>> between modules in the oslo incubator, trying to balance the desire to
>> have a
>> small number of libraries with themes that make sense and the need to
>> eliminate
>> circular dependencies.
>>
>> The results of all of this are posted to https://wiki.openstack.org/
>> wiki/Oslo/
>> GraduationStatus, where I have grouped the modules together into proposed
>> libraries.
>>
>> The dependencies between the libraries can be seen in several graphs I've
>> prepared and posted to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/Dependencies
>>
>> Once we settle on the list of libraries, the next step is to look at the
>> lowest
>> level libraries to see what steps need to be taken before they can be
>> released.
>> I plan to start on that after the icehouse-2 deadline.
>>
>> Oslo team (and other interested parties), please take a look at the two
>> wiki
>> pages above and provide any feedback you have here on this ML thread.
>>

> +1 Thanks for the graphs.
>
> I took a look at it. There are some modules - oslo.cache, for example
> - which status should be updated - I don't think we'll need that
> memorycache module anymore once [0] lands.

Sure, I was tracking what to do with the files we have now. If memorycache
can be obsoleted, we'll have to update all of its current users to use the
replacement first. And (I think) obviously the new cache work you're doing
would go into that same oslo.cache library.

> In the dependencies diagrams, it looks like oslo.policy does not
> depend on anything. However, it should depend on oslo.text, oslo.log
> and oslo.utils. I'll update the graduation statys wiki.

Thanks. It looks like I may have missed a few others, too (I notice
reports doesn't list anything).

> Should we have a meeting after i-2 cut? I think we could go through
> the list again very quickly.

Yes, good idea. I'd like to try to get the status page in the wiki up to
date, and then use that to create a series of blueprints.

Doug