[openstack-dev] [oslo] dependency analysis for graduating more oslo libraries

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 10:24:54 UTC 2014

On 14/01/14 14:48 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>I've spent some time over the past day or two looking at the dependencies
>between modules in the oslo incubator, trying to balance the desire to have a
>small number of libraries with themes that make sense and the need to eliminate
>circular dependencies.
>
>The results of all of this are posted to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/
>GraduationStatus, where I have grouped the modules together into proposed
>libraries.
>
>The dependencies between the libraries can be seen in several graphs I've
>prepared and posted to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/Dependencies
>
>Once we settle on the list of libraries, the next step is to look at the lowest
>level libraries to see what steps need to be taken before they can be released.
>I plan to start on that after the icehouse-2 deadline.
>
>Oslo team (and other interested parties), please take a look at the two wiki
>pages above and provide any feedback you have here on this ML thread.

+1 Thanks for the graphs.

I took a look at it. There are some modules - oslo.cache, for example
- which status should be updated - I don't think we'll need that
memorycache module anymore once [0] lands.

In the dependencies diagrams, it looks like oslo.policy does not
depend on anything. However, it should depend on oslo.text, oslo.log
and oslo.utils. I'll update the graduation statys wiki.

Should we have a meeting after i-2 cut? I think we could go through
the list again very quickly.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/42878/

Cheers,
FF