[openstack-dev] [oslo] need input on new config option for logging translations

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jan 14 18:33:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Luis A. Garcia <luis at linux.vnet.ibm.com>wrote:

> On 1/14/2014 6:59 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>

>> [snip]
>>

>>     I think the reason for this is simply user convenience. It's easier
>>     for the user to just set one of those log properties from the
>>     project.conf, and the "heavy lifting" such the creation of specific:
>>     Logger, LogHandler, LogFormatter, LogAdapters, etc. is done behind
>>     the scenes. For that reason I think having this option is useful for
>>     our users so they can use the new log feature we implemented.
>>

>> It is more convenient for the user if we make them start from scratch,
>> which is why I proposed that we deliver a sample configuration file
>> specifically for this feature.
>>

> I really don't think having users start from scratch is more convenient
> for them.

Sorry, you're right, that was a typo. I mean "it is *not* more
convenient...". They won't be starting from scratch, because they will be
given an example configuration file.

My main concern with adding another option is that I don't know how many
>> deployers will really want to log in more than one language at a time.
>> Those deployers who do want it may want more control over where those
>> logs are written than the simple option proposed will give them, too.
>> The logging.conf file gives them complete control for advanced
>> configurations, and a sample file gives them an easy way to turn on
>> simple file logging in multiple languages.
>>

> We can address this by allowing the property to accept more than one
> language at a time. Now yes, the logging.conf gives complete control
> including where the translated log will go to (e.g. file, console, etc.)
> however this is a quick and easy way to start using the translated log
> feature with very sensible defaults. For those people currently not using
> logging.conf it is not just a quick and easy way, it is the only way of
> configuring it, without having to redo all their log configuration in a
> logging.conf.

Users can have translated logs simply by setting their locale properly.
This option enables *dual logging*. That's exactly the sort of thing the
logging.conf file is meant to support.

> This configuration option allows a quick way to use the feature, and
> provides consistency with every single other log option. I think those
> reasons are valid and the property provides value for users in the form of
> simplicity for using the feature, just like every other log option out
> there in the project.confs.

I don't want to base this decision on the past options. There are already
more options than we want. Adding more doesn't help solve that problem.