[openstack-dev] [oslo] Common SSH

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jan 13 18:49:31 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2014-01-13 09:10:27 -0800:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Bhuvan Arumugam <bhuvan at apache.org> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Doug Hellmann <
> > doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:
> >> Where are we doing those sorts of operations?
> >>

> > Currently, we don't upload/download files to remote server through
> > ssh/scp. We do execute commands, pipe multiple commands in few tempest when
> > ssh is enabled. With oslo/fabric, we may develop a common ground to deal
> > with remote servers, be it executing commands or dealing with files.
> >

> Are we using ssh to run commands anywhere else in OpenStack? Maybe in one
> of the orchestration layers like heat or trove?

Heat does not use SSH, though I believe it did in its early days.

SSH belongs to the admins. I don't think OpenStack should be using it.

I see the usefuleness in the tempest case, which tests that the key given
is on the box, and may need to verify other things inside the instance.

However things that won't work with a simple "ssh to that box and report
success/fail" could also be done just by having an image which calls
back to tempest on boot.