[openstack-dev] [oslo] Common SSH

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Jan 13 18:16:32 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-13 11:21, Greg Hill wrote:

> Trove doesn't use ssh afaik. It has an agent that runs in the guest that is communicated with via our normal RPC messaging options.
>
> Greg

My understanding is that Heat is similar. It uses cloud-init to do its
guest configuration. I'm pretty sure they explicitly decided against
using ssh at some point, so that's unlikely to change either.

-Ben

> On Jan 13, 2014, at 11:10 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Bhuvan Arumugam <bhuvan at apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Bhuvan Arumugam <bhuvan at apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Sergey Skripnick <sskripnick at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> I appreciate that we want to fix the ssh client. I'm not certain that writing our own is the best >answer. I was supposed to fix oslo.processutils.ssh with this class, but it may
> be fixed without it, not big deal.
>
> In his comments on your pull request, the paramiko author recommended looking at Fabric. I know that >Fabric has a long history in production. Does it provide the required features?
>
> Fabric is too much for just command execution on remote server. Spur seems like
> good choice for this.

I'd go with Fabric. It support several remote server operations, file
upload/download among them. We could just import the methods we are
interested. It in turn use paramiko supporting most of ssh client
options. If we begin using fabric for file upload/download, it'll open
door for more remote server operations. Bringing in fabric as part of
oslo will be cool.

Where are we doing those sorts of operations?

Currently, we don't upload/download files to remote server through
ssh/scp. We do execute commands, pipe multiple commands in few tempest
when ssh is enabled. With oslo/fabric, we may develop a common ground to
deal with remote servers, be it executing commands or dealing with
files.

Are we using ssh to run commands anywhere else in OpenStack? Maybe in
one of the orchestration layers like heat or trove?

Doug

> --
>
> Regards,
> Bhuvan Arumugam