[openstack-dev] [oslo.config] Centralized config management

Nachi Ueno nachi at ntti3.com
Mon Jan 13 18:35:07 UTC 2014

Hi Clint

2014/1/10 Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com>:
> Excerpts from Nachi Ueno's message of 2014-01-10 13:42:30 -0700:
>> Hi Flavio, Clint
>>
>> I agree with you guys.
>> sorry, may be, I wasn't clear. My opinion is to remove every
>> configuration in the node,
>> and every configuration should be done by API from central resource
>> manager. (nova-api or neturon server etc).
>>
>> This is how to add new hosts, in cloudstack, vcenter, and openstack.
>>
>> Cloudstack: "Go to web UI, add Host/ID/PW".
>> http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.0.2/html/Installation_Guide/host-add.html
>>
>> vCenter: "Go to vsphere client, Host/ID/PW".
>> https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.solutions.doc%2FGUID-A367585C-EB0E-4CEB-B147-817C1E5E8D1D.html
>>
>> Openstack,
>> - Manual
>>    - setup mysql connection config, rabbitmq/qpid connection config,
>> keystone config,, neturon config, xxxx
>> http://docs.openstack.org/havana/install-guide/install/apt/content/nova-compute.html
>>
>> We have some deployment system including chef / puppet / packstack, TripleO
>> - Chef/Puppet
>>    Setup chef node
>>    Add node/ apply role
>> - Packstack
>>    -  Generate answer file
>>       https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/2/html/Getting_Started_Guide/sect-Running_PackStack_Non-interactively.html
>>    -  packstack --install-hosts=192.168.1.0,192.168.1.1,192.168.1.2
>> - TripleO
>>    - UnderCloud
>>        nova baremetal node add
>>    - OverCloud
>>        modify heat template
>>
>> For residence in this mailing list, Chef/Puppet or third party tool is
>> easy to use.
>> However,  I believe they are magical tools to use for many operators.
>> Furthermore, these development system tend to take time to support
>> newest release.
>> so most of users, OpenStack release didn't means it can be usable for them.
>>
>> IMO, current way to manage configuration is the cause of this issue.
>> If we manage everything via API, we can manage cluster by horizon.
>> Then user can do "go to horizon, just add host".
>>
>> It may take time to migrate config to API, so one easy step is to convert
>> existing config for API resources. This is the purpose of this proposal.
>>

> Hi Nachi. What you've described is the vision for TripleO and Tuskar. We
> do not lag the release. We run CD and will be in the gate "real soon
> now" so that TripleO should be able to fully deploy Icehouse on Icehouse
> release day.

yeah, I'm big fan of TripleO and Tuskar.
However, may be, it is difficult to let TripleO/Tuskar up-to-dated
with newest releases.

so let's say Nova and neutron added new function in 3rd release (I3
for icehouse),
there is no way to support it in TripleO/Tuskar.
This is natural, because TripleO/Tuskar is 3rd party tool for nova or
neutron. (same as Chef/Puppet).
IMO, Tuskar API and existing projects(nova, neturon) should be
integrated in design level.