[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Dynamic Meters in Ceilometer

Kodam, Vijayakumar (EXT-Tata Consultancy Ser - FI/Espoo) vijayakumar.kodam.ext at nsn.com
Wed Jan 8 15:59:55 UTC 2014

From: ext Tim Bell [mailto:Tim.Bell at cern.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:22 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Dynamic Meters in Ceilometer

Thinking using inotify/configuration file changes to implement dynamic meters, this would be limited to administrators of ceilometer itself (i.e. with write access to the file) rather than the project administrators (as defined by keystone roles). Thus, as a project administrator who is not the cloud admin, I could not enable/disable the meter for a project only.

It would mean that scripting meter on/off would not be possible if there was not an API to perform this.

Not sure if these requirements are significant and the associated impact on implementation complexity, but they may be relevant in scoping out the blueprint and subsequent changes

Tim
Tim,

Agree with your suggestion. I have updated the design by adding APIs. Whenever an API request is received by the ceilometer-api, it shall modify the config file and inform the ceilometer agents.
You can find detailed information at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/dynamic-meters

Regards,
VijayKumar