[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Nova][cold migration] Why we need confirm resize after cold migration

Jay Lau jay.lau.513 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 09:52:53 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I have a question related to cold migration.

Now in OpenStack nova, we support live migration, cold migration and resize.

For live migration, we do not need to confirm after live migration finished.

For resize, we need to confirm, as we want to give end user an opportunity
to rollback.

The problem is cold migration, because cold migration and resize share same
code path, so once I submit a cold migration request and after the cold
migration finished, the VM will goes to verify_resize state, and I need to
confirm resize. I felt a bit confused by this, why do I need to verify
resize for a cold migration operation? Why not reset the VM to original
state directly after cold migration?

Also, I think that probably we need split compute.api.resize() to two apis:
one is for resize and the other is for cold migrations.

1) The VM state can be either ACTIVE and STOPPED for a resize operation
2) The VM state must be STOPPED for a cold migrate operation.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Jay