[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Nova][cold migration] Why we need confirm resize after cold migration

David Xie david.scriptfan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 10:02:11 UTC 2014

In nova/compute/api.py#2289, function resize, there's a parameter named
flavor_id, if it is None, it is considered as cold migration. Thus, nova
should skip resize verifying. However, it doesn't.

Like Jay said, we should skip this step during cold migration, does it make
sense?

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Jay Lau <jay.lau.513 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a question related to cold migration.
>
> Now in OpenStack nova, we support live migration, cold migration and
> resize.
>
> For live migration, we do not need to confirm after live migration
> finished.
>
> For resize, we need to confirm, as we want to give end user an opportunity
> to rollback.
>
> The problem is cold migration, because cold migration and resize share
> same code path, so once I submit a cold migration request and after the
> cold migration finished, the VM will goes to verify_resize state, and I
> need to confirm resize. I felt a bit confused by this, why do I need to
> verify resize for a cold migration operation? Why not reset the VM to
> original state directly after cold migration?
>
> Also, I think that probably we need split compute.api.resize() to two
> apis: one is for resize and the other is for cold migrations.
>
> 1) The VM state can be either ACTIVE and STOPPED for a resize operation
> 2) The VM state must be STOPPED for a cold migrate operation.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

----
Best Regards,
David Xie
Founder of ScriptFan technology community - http://scriptfan.com
Manager of Xi'an GDG (Google Developer Group)
http://about.me/davidx