[openstack-dev] [nova] where to expose network quota

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 14:01:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Yaguang Tang <yaguang.tang at canonical.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now Neutron has its own quota management API for network related
> items(floating ips, security groups .etc) which are also manged by Nova.
>  when using nova with neutron as network service, the network related quota
> items are stored in two different databases and managed by different APIs.
>
> I'd like your suggestions on which of the following is best to fix the
> issue.
>
> 1,  let nova to proxy all network related quota info operation(update,
>  list,delete) through neutron API.
>
> 2, filter network related quota info from nova when using neutron as
> network service, and change
> novaclient to get quota info from nova and neutron quota API.

For the V3 API clients should access neutron directly for quota
information. The V3 API will no longer proxy quota related information for
neutron. Also novaclient will not get the quota information from neutron,
but users should use neutronclient or python-openstackclient instead.

The V3 API mode for novaclient will only be accessing Nova - with one big
exception for querying glance
so images can be specified by name. And longer term I think we need to
think about how we share client code amongst clients because I think there
will be more cases where its useful to access other servers so things can
be specified by name rather than UUID but we don't want to duplicate code
in the clients.

Chris