[openstack-dev] [nova] minimum review period for functional changes that break backwards compatibility

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jan 7 10:04:17 UTC 2014

Matt Riedemann wrote:
> There is discussion in this thread about "wouldn't it be nice to have a
> tag on commits for changes that impact upgrades?".  There is.
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-October/016619.html
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages#Including_external_references
>
> Here is an example of a patch going through the gate now with
> UpgradeImpact:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/62815/

The good thing about "UpgradeImpact" is that it's less subjective than
"OpsImpact", and I think it catches what matters: backward-incompatible
changes, upgrades needing manual intervention (or smart workarounds in
packaging), etc.

Additional benefit is that it's relevant for more than just the "ops"
population: packagers and the release notes writers also need to track
those.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)