[openstack-dev] Distributed Virtual Router Blueprint - Review ( North-South/East West with Services)

Vasudevan, Swaminathan (PNB Roseville) swaminathan.vasudevan at hp.com
Mon Jan 6 19:19:17 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,
In the Icehouse summit design session we presented a DVR( Distributed Virtual Router) Proposal that was targeted only for "East-West" Communication and was based on a DVR datapath Kernel Driver.

We discussed three different Use cases such as "East-West", "North-South" and "East-West/North-South with Services".
The feedback that we received from the community was 50% of the audience requirement was for "North-South" and the other 50% was ok with the "East-West".
So the action item was to work on "East-West" and if we have enough sub-team members then we can also address the "North-South".
Also there were concerns raised about the "Kernel Module" usage for the DVR Datapath.

Based on the feedback that we received and the community interest, we went back and re-designed the DVR to support both the East-West and North-South without the Kernel Module driver and just using the existing namespace support.
And also will support the existing Services in a hybrid mode.

The updated blueprint is available for review as a google doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iXMAyVMf42FTahExmGdYNGOBFyeA4e74sAO3pvr_RjA/edit

I would appreciate if you could provide your valuable feedback on the proposal.

Thanks
Swaminathan Vasudevan
Systems Software Engineer (TC)

HP Networking