[openstack-dev] [nova] Turbo-hipster

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Thu Jan 2 22:26:51 UTC 2014

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:

> On 01/02/2014 04:29 PM, Michael Still wrote:
>> Heh, I didn't know that wiki page existed. I've added an entry to the checklist.
>>
>> There's also some talk of adding some help text to the vote message
>> turbo-hipster leaves in gerrit, but we haven't gotten around to doing
>> that yet.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michael
>
> So was there enough countable slowness earlier in the run that you could
> have predicted these runs would be slower overall?
>
> My experience looking at Tempest run data is there can be as much as an
> +60% variance from fastest and slowest nodes (same instance type) within
> the same cloud provider, which is the reason we've never tried to
> performance gate on it.
>
> However if there was some earlier benchmark that would let you realize
> that the whole run was slow, so give it more of a buffer, that would
> probably be useful.

If you are able to do this and benchmark the performance of a cloud
server reliably enough, we might be able to make progress on performance
testing, which has been long desired.  The large ops test is (somewhat
accidentally) a performance test, and predictably, it has failed when we
change cloud node provider configurations.  A benchmark could make this
test more reliable and other tests more feasible.

-Jim