[openstack-dev] HDD-type config-drive and Windows VM

Alessandro Pilotti apilotti at cloudbasesolutions.com
Sat Feb 22 21:16:56 UTC 2014

Hi Akira,

Cloudbase-Init supports ConfigDrive v2 metadata provided as either:

- ISO in cdrom drive (any version of Windows starting with XP / 2003)
- ISO in raw HDD (starting with Windows 8 / Windows 2012)

As you correctly pointed out, Windows does not directly support mounting raw disks (unpartitioned), so the latter is achieved by
extracting the content of the HDD in an ISO file and mount it as a loopback drive.

Nova defaults to ISO and supports VFAT for legacy reasons only. Quoting from [1]:

“For legacy reasons, you can configure the configuration drive to use VFAT format instead of ISO 9660. It is unlikely that you would require VFAT
format because ISO 9660 is widely supported across operating systems. However, to use the VFAT format, add the following line to
the /etc/nova/nova.conf file:

config_drive_format=vfat"

Due to this consideration, we didn't see any particular reason for supporting also VFAT, but we can talk about it if you have specific scenarios where it’s worth.

Thanks,

Alessandro

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/enable_config_drive.html