[openstack-dev] HDD-type config-drive and Windows VM

Akira Yoshiyama akirayoshiyama at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 16:29:56 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Recently, I've tried to use HDD-style config-drive with Windows VM and
Cloudbase-init, but It didn't work.
I found 2 things below:

* HDD-style config-drive v2 of Nova uses a VFAT filesystem without
partition (whole disk).
* Windows Server 2012 doesn't recognize a filesystem without partition.

HDD-style config-drive is useful because cloud-init can delete all
data on it for security.
How can I resolve this problem? Does HDD-style config-drive need to
change its format?

Thank you,
Akira Yoshiyama

p.s. Cloudbase-init looks for an ISO image on HDD-style config-drive.