[openstack-dev] [oslo] Some questions about Rest API and log messages translation

Jay S Bryant jsbryant at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 20 00:05:50 UTC 2014

Response marked with >> below.

Jay

From:   Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
Date:   02/19/2014 09:22 AM
Subject:        Re: [openstack-dev] [oslo] Some questions about Rest API
and log messages translation

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Peng Wu <peng.e.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

  Currently I am analyzing the blueprint of translated message id
generation.[1]
  Recently I just found that there is an implementation to generate both
English and translated log messages.
  I think if English and translated log messages are provided, then we
don't need to generate a message id for log messages.

  My question is about Rest API messages translation. If we will return
both English and translated Rest API message, then we don't need to
generate a message id for Rest API message, either.

I don't think we plan to return both messages. My understanding was we
would return messages in the locale specified by the headers sent from the
client (assuming those translations are available).
 >> You are correct Doug.  The REST API responses will be in the default
locale unless a different 'Accept-Language: ' is set.  Then the translated
response will be returned.

  And currently message id generation blueprint is only for log message
and translated Rest API message. If we provide both English and
translated messages, then we don't need to generate any message id for
messages. Because we just need to read the English log and Rest API
messages.

There may still be utility in documenting messages with a message id. For
example, a message id wouldn't change even if the wording of a message
changed slightly (to add more context information, for example).

Doug

  Feel free to comment it.

Thanks,
  Peng Wu