[openstack-dev] [oslo] Some questions about Rest API and log messages translation

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Feb 19 15:02:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Peng Wu <peng.e.wu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Currently I am analyzing the blueprint of translated message id
> generation.[1]
>   Recently I just found that there is an implementation to generate both
> English and translated log messages.
>   I think if English and translated log messages are provided, then we
> don't need to generate a message id for log messages.
>
>   My question is about Rest API messages translation. If we will return
> both English and translated Rest API message, then we don't need to
> generate a message id for Rest API message, either.

I don't think we plan to return both messages. My understanding was we
would return messages in the locale specified by the headers sent from the
client (assuming those translations are available).

>   And currently message id generation blueprint is only for log message
> and translated Rest API message. If we provide both English and
> translated messages, then we don't need to generate any message id for
> messages. Because we just need to read the English log and Rest API
> messages.

There may still be utility in documenting messages with a message id. For
example, a message id wouldn't change even if the wording of a message
changed slightly (to add more context information, for example).

Doug