[openstack-dev] Interested in attracting new contributors?

Luis de Bethencourt luis at debethencourt.com
Fri Feb 14 15:20:01 UTC 2014

On 14 February 2014 07:06, Victoria Martínez de la Cruz <
victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think we should separate between mentoring efforts and documentation.
>
> For the first one, is true that there are always tons of tasks to do but
> sometimes a beginner won't find them because they are not familiar with the
> workflow neither with the community. People that is not involved with
> open-source just doesn't know where to start when reaching to an
> organization of this kind. So, having someone to ask about this is usually
> a great help. That is something OpenHatch is intended to solve.
>
> I must say that OpenHatch is not time consuming and helped several people
> to join OpenStack and start contributing to it. And that is great :)
>
> Another thing we tried last year is #openstack-101, a channel for new
> contributors where they are free to ask any doubt they could have. I'm
> happy to say this worked as a hub between newcomers and the community and
> that lots of people have been able to start working with us.
>
> About documentation, I agree that it could be quite overwhelming the first
> time, but that is how complex our organization is. The thing is... we get
> used to that.
>
> Perhaps we could ask new contributors what they would like to find in the
> 'How to contribute' wiki page and refine it to make it easier for new
> people (I volunteer for that!).
>
> Finally, I wanted to mention that mentoring is great. I still have many
> things to learn, but I have been able to guide people with their first
> steps in the community and is cool to see how a little effort like that
> mean, later in time, great contributions.
>
> Thanks all for the feedback,
>
> Victoria

It has probably been mentioned before and I missed it but, where can people
find these mentors you talk about? This should be mentioned in pages like:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HowToContribute
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/DevQuickstart
https://swiftstack.com/blog/2013/02/12/swift-for-new-contributors/