[openstack-dev] Interested in attracting new contributors?

Victoria Martínez de la Cruz victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com
Fri Feb 14 12:06:41 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I think we should separate between mentoring efforts and documentation.

For the first one, is true that there are always tons of tasks to do but
sometimes a beginner won't find them because they are not familiar with the
workflow neither with the community. People that is not involved with
open-source just doesn't know where to start when reaching to an
organization of this kind. So, having someone to ask about this is usually
a great help. That is something OpenHatch is intended to solve.

I must say that OpenHatch is not time consuming and helped several people
to join OpenStack and start contributing to it. And that is great :)

Another thing we tried last year is #openstack-101, a channel for new
contributors where they are free to ask any doubt they could have. I'm
happy to say this worked as a hub between newcomers and the community and
that lots of people have been able to start working with us.

About documentation, I agree that it could be quite overwhelming the first
time, but that is how complex our organization is. The thing is... we get
used to that.

Perhaps we could ask new contributors what they would like to find in the
'How to contribute' wiki page and refine it to make it easier for new
people (I volunteer for that!).

Finally, I wanted to mention that mentoring is great. I still have many
things to learn, but I have been able to guide people with their first
steps in the community and is cool to see how a little effort like that
mean, later in time, great contributions.

Thanks all for the feedback,

Victoria