[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] [Cinder] Cinder driver verification

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Feb 12 23:34:11 UTC 2014

Hey,

So we've talked about this a bit and had a number of ideas regarding
how to test and show compatibility for third-party drivers in Cinder.
This has been an eye opening experience (the number of folks that have
NEVER run tempest before, as well as the problems uncovered now that
they're trying it).

I'm even more convinced now that having vendors run these tests is a
good thing and should be required.  That being said there's a ton of
push back from my proposal to require that results from a successful
run of the tempest tests to accompany any new drivers submitted to
Cinder.  The consensus from the Cinder community for now is that we'll
log a bug for each driver after I3, stating that it hasn't passed
certification tests.  We'll then have a public record showing
drivers/vendors that haven't demonstrated functional compatibility,
and in order to close those bugs they'll be required to run the tests
and submit the results to the bug in Launchpad.

So, this seems to be the approach we're taking for Icehouse at least,
it's far from ideal IMO, however I think it's still progress and it's
definitely exposed some issues with how drivers are currently
submitted to Cinder so those are positive things that we can learn
from and improve upon in future releases.

To add some controversy and keep the original intent of having only
known tested and working drivers in the Cinder release, I am going to
propose that any driver that has not submitted successful functional
testing by RC1 that that driver be removed.  I'd at least like to see
driver maintainers try... if the test fails a test or two that's
something that can be discussed, but it seems that until now most
drivers just flat out are not even being tested.

Thanks,
John