[openstack-dev] [Nova][Glance]supporting of v1 and v2 glance APIs in Nova

Eddie Sheffield eddie.sheffield at rackspace.com
Tue Feb 11 16:38:57 UTC 2014

> A few days ago, I met some problems when using 'createimage' feature in
> Nova, we found that using V1 of glanceclient has some problem with
> processing of metadata, the version number and even the glance URIs are
> both hardcoded in Nova.
>
> then, we found the bluepring[1] proposed, and the maillist[2] which talked
> about the topic before, mainly focused on version autodiscovery by keystone
> catalog and config option for nova. But we still need changes in Nova
> because the incompatible behavior between v1 and v2, especially when
> creating and uploading an image file. The review request[3] of the bp is
> abandoned for now.
>
> So, what I want to confirm is, how could this situation be handled? I
> mailed Eddie Sheffield, but got no answer, so bring it up here.
>
> [1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/use-glance-v2-api
> [2]: http://markmail.org/message/uqrpufsmh4qp5pgy
> [4]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/38414/

Hi Lingxian,

I'm afraid I somehow didn't see the email you sent to me directly. We recently held the Glance Mini-summit and this work was discussed. Andrew Laski from the Nova team was also in attendance and provided some input from their perspective. Essentially we decided that while autodiscovery is desirable, we want to roll that functionality into a much-improved python-glanceclient which will present a version-agnostic programming api to users of the library. So the immediate plan is to go back to the approach outlined in the bp and merge prop you reference above. Then in the near future produce the new glanceclient followed by updating Nova to use the new library which will address the concerns of autodiscovery among other things.

Timeline-wise, I've been a bit covered up with some other work but will be getting back to this within a week. There were some concerns about the size of the patch so rather than unabandoning the existing one I will be trying to put up multiple, smaller patches.

Please let me know if you have any specific concerns or requirements so they can be addressed.

Eddie Sheffield
Rackspace Hosting, Inc.
eddie.sheffield at rackspace.com