[openstack-dev] [Horizon] RFC - Suggestion for switching from Less to Sass (Bootstrap 3 & Sass support)

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Thu Feb 6 12:38:01 UTC 2014

On 05/02/14 17:32, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
[snip]

> Other concern will be with compilers. So far I've found 3 ways:
> * rails dependency (how big problem would it be?)
> * https://pypi.python.org/pypi/scss/0.7.1
> * https://pypi.python.org/pypi/SassPython/0.2.1
> * ... (other suggestions?)

The first of those links actually points to a newer and better
maintained project: https://github.com/Kronuz/pyScss

The question is, are we jumping out of the frying pan into fire? Are we
going to have exactly the same problems a couple of months or years down
the road with SASS? How healthy is the SASS community compared to that
of LESS and how good are the available tools?

We have to remember that we are adding a burden of learning new language
for all developers -- although SASS and LESS are relatively similar, we
are still running the risk of losing some contributors who don't want to
jump through one more hoop.

Finally, I wonder how well it would work with multiple SASS files
collected from different django apps. Currently, all the LESS files for
Bootstrap are included in Openstack Dashboard, simply because the
dashboard's files need to inherit from them, and putting them in Horizon
would make that impossible. It's a workaround, but it also makes it
impossible for apps other than the dashboard (like tuskar-ui) to inherit
from those less files. I think that if we had a solution for that for
SASS, that would be another strong advantage of switching.
--
Radomir Dopieralski