[openstack-dev] transactions in openstack REST API?

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Mon Feb 3 19:31:31 UTC 2014

On 02/03/14 at 01:10pm, Chris Friesen wrote:

>Has anyone ever considered adding the concept of transaction IDs to
>the openstack REST API?
>
>I'm envisioning a way to handle long-running transactions more
>cleanly.  For example:
>
>1) A user sends a request to live-migrate an instance
>2) Openstack acks the request and includes a "transaction ID" in the
>response.
>3) The user can then poll (or maybe listen to notifications) to see
>whether the transaction is complete or hit an error.

I've called them tasks, but I have a proposal up at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/instance-tasks-api that is
very similar to this.  It allows for polling, but doesn't get into
notifications.  But this is a first step in this direction and it can be
expanded upon later.

Please let me know if this covers what you've brought up, and add any
feedback you may have to the blueprint.