[openstack-dev] transactions in openstack REST API?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Feb 3 20:45:00 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 01:31 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
> On 02/03/14 at 01:10pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone ever considered adding the concept of transaction IDs to
>> the openstack REST API?
>>
>> I'm envisioning a way to handle long-running transactions more
>> cleanly.  For example:
>>
>> 1) A user sends a request to live-migrate an instance
>> 2) Openstack acks the request and includes a "transaction ID" in the
>> response.
>> 3) The user can then poll (or maybe listen to notifications) to see
>> whether the transaction is complete or hit an error.
>
> I've called them tasks, but I have a proposal up at
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/instance-tasks-api that is
> very similar to this.  It allows for polling, but doesn't get into
> notifications.  But this is a first step in this direction and it can be
> expanded upon later.
>
> Please let me know if this covers what you've brought up, and add any
> feedback you may have to the blueprint.

That actually looks really good.  I like the idea of subtasks for things
like live migration.

The only real comment I have at this point is that you might want to
talk to the "transaction ID" guys and maybe use your task UUID as the
transaction ID that gets passed to other services acting on behalf of nova.

Chris